Friday 25 October 2013

Blog Sample 8



How green are you?

This is 2013 and I can’t believe how people are not yet aware of the importance of taking care of the planet we live in. I think people should learn about “green issues” at school. Sometimes children learn how to make recycled paper and some others have workshops to learn some aspects of recycling. So, environmental-friendly practices can be definitely learnt at school and also at home.
I’ve always tried to be careful with the waste I produce. I use special bins (usually glass, plastic and organic bins) every time I can. Apart from that, I use water wisely; I learnt that in Chiloé when I was 12. It was only when we spent more than 2 weeks with a family in Nalhuitad, where they didn’t have tap water. I’m constantly thinking about ways to reduce my carbon footprint and transmitting the information so more people are aware.
I use my bike in the summer mostly. In winter it’s too cold for me and too contaminated as well but as in spring and summer is windier I tent to think that I’m not breathing so much smog. Also, as I don’t have a car, I’m always walking and taking the bus or the tube.
I support Greenpeace but only through the internet. I do that by signing emails requesting more laws or an action to stop some stupid objective of a millionaire company. I think we should support any eco-organisations if it’s because they want to take care of the planet. I’d love to make tons of copies of “The 11th Hour”, which is a documentary about the state of the Earth, considering air and water contamination mainly. Finally, in terms of the capital city, I think Santiago is missing more laws and public policies so people learn and participate in solving matters related to the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment